Print

Crucial place of the Bicentennial of the Independence Route, “Casa de Morelos” Ecatepec Community Center will conclude it’s restructuring in 2010, with the actualization of its Archaeological Hall, where paleontological and Prehispanic material found in Estado de Mexico will be exhibited.


The museum part of the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH) network underwent important interventions during 2009, such as the replacement of stones and trace of the road between the 18th century historical building (Casa de Morelos) and San Juan Alcahuacan chapel; the creation of an orchard and a garden at the atrium of the chapel.

Lateral walls of the 16th century chapel were substituted, as well as flattening at certain parts of Casa de Morelos, informed Miguel Angel Trinidad Melendez, director of the Community Center, remarking that nearly 2 million MXP were invested by INAH.

The archaeologist mentioned that part of the conservation issues of these structures are consequence of salinity of the region, located where portions of Texcoco and Zumpango lakes existed, and the difference in height regarding Via Morelos Highway.

Museography of the museum has also been actualized, declared Trinidad Melendez, including the hall named Arqueologia de Ecatepec, where human occupation since 200 BC will be represented.

Halls dedicated to Jose Maria Morelos y Pavon, historical photography at the municipality and contemporary local art are already open to public.

Sala Morelos, includes objects from 18th and 19th centuries, outstanding a portrait of the insurgent painted in 1812, after subjugating Chilapa, in Guerrero. Portraits of viceroys Juan Vicente de Guemes and Juan Ruiz de Apodaca are exhibited as well in the hall where Morelos y Pavon spent his last hours.     

The Independence, the life of Jose Maria Morelos and his role as builder of Mexican State are represented in this hall. Other themes treated here are his apprehension, trials against Siervo de la Nacion and his execution.

The director of the community center remarked the new information cards, where visitors will be able to know fragments of original documents and their transcription.

“We wanted Independence and Morelos themes to be illustrated with referents from the collection, images that give sense to the life of the hero, as well as identity to Ecatepec dwellers”, concluded Miguel Angel Trinidad.


Last hours of the Nation’s Servant

After a stop at El Pocito Chapel at Villa de Guadalupe, where he saved a prayer, Jose Maria Morelos y Pavon was taken in carriage to San Cristobal Ecatepec, in December 22nd 1815.

Historian Jose Manuel Villalpando, national executive coordinator of 2010 Commemorations, narrated that it was 1 PM when Morelos arrived to the place employed by viceroys as temporary residence, among other uses.  

He ate chickpea broth in a room of the house. He lighted a cigar, as he liked. “Colonel De la Concha talked with him about the soil in Ecatepec, which Morelos found arid, in contrast to where he was born, Michoacan, which he called the garden of New Spain”.

“The chat was interrupted by the drumroll. Morelos checked the time in his watch and observed it was 3 o’ clock on a Friday, the exact time when Jesus died. He told the colonel that his cassock would be his shroud, and asked for a crucifix to hold in his hands at the time of the shooting. A single discharge killed him, but the motherland will never forget the author of Sentimientos de la Nacion (Feelings of the Nation)”, concluded Villalpando.